httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Newbie - Please Help With Starting
Date Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:11:15 GMT
> Courtney P wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I’m completely new at this.  I installed the latest version of Apache
> on my server that runs Win XP Pro.
>
> Probably not the best choices in OS, but that’s what I’m running.  I
> have a DSL connection so I have a
>
> dynamic IP address.  I use a program from EasyDNS that checks for a
> new IP address and sends out

Please don't send HTML email to the list.

The documentation doesn't address this situation because Apache was not
designed to run on a home Windows PC on a consumer DSL line with a
dynamic IP address.  However, you'll find extensive documentation about
every aspect of Apache on their website at httpd.apache.org.

As the other poster said, you need to make sure your ISP isn't blocking
80 inbound.  It's against the TOS/AUP of most non-business broadband
connections to run servers.  Additionally, if you have NAT you'll need
to forward port 80 for it to be accessable from the outside.  Use one of
the "port scanning" services such as grc.com to see if port 80 is open.
If it is, and something is answering, then you should be able to view
the page.  Otherwise, you'll need to adjust firewall/gateway settings to
allow incoming connections.

Brian