httpd-users mailing list archives

From Cliff Pennock <apachel...@pennock.nl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Newbie - Please Help With Starting
Date Wed, 31 Dec 2003 13:01:26 GMT
First of all, whenever you make changes to Apache's configuration file,
you'll need to restart Apache for the changes to become effective.
Second, most DSL/Cable providers block ports below 1024 to prevent
people from running their own servers. Third, avoid using spaces in
folder names.

Also, with dynamic ip-addresses, make sure your configuration file has
the line

   BindAddress *

uncommented. I also believe Apache needs to be restarted everytime your
ip-address changes (if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me on that).

That said, try the following. With apache running, open your browser on
the machine you are running Apache on and surf to

   http://127.0.0.1

If Apache is up and running, you should see *something*. Either your
index page, Apache's default page, or some kind of server generated
error message. If you do get any of the above, but you can't reach your
page from another machine then chances are your ISP is indeed blocking
port 80.

- Cliff