httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache question...
Date Fri, 26 Dec 2003 04:16:33 GMT
bruce wrote:

> the primary reason for me looking to dynamically change the pages/sites
> without restarting the server is because i'm considering the situation where
> the owner of the apache process might not want it to be stopped/started,
> even if only for a few seconds...

If the administrator doesn't want you restarting the server then I don't
see how you're going to get around that.  "Here, please install this
untested patch I just wrote to your production server so that I can get
around your security policy" ??

But my main point was that in most cases you don't need to restart the
server to "change pages/sites", whatever that means.  With .htaccess
files and mod_rewrite (or perhaps mod_vhost_alias) you should be able to
do just about anything.  What changes are you talking about that would
require the whole server to be restarted?  If you were more specific I'm
sure you'd get more help.

Brian