httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Cannot browse from the internet...
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:54:25 GMT
Ola Ogunneye wrote:

> I am also a total novice in this arena and I am interested in sharing my
> family pictures with members of my extended family. So I am using a
> weblog to accomplish my goal.
>
> Somehow, I have finished everything locally on the server, I can browse
> the site on the Server, but from no where else. I initially thought that
> it has something to do with my httpd.conf file and so I stripped it and
> now all I get is the successful installation of Apache on my server. But
> still cannot browse from the only other PC connected to my LAN, an XP
> Pro PC.
>
> I have DSL router and I browse the internet from either PC, I can ping
> either PC or the router LAN and WAN addresses, but I cannot browse my
> webserver except on the PC that it resides on.  And it cannot be reached
> from the outside, which made me think that it might not have been my
> httpd.conf.

There are probably two things you need to look into.  First, you need to
find out which interface Apache is listening on.  It sounds like it's
only listening on 127.0.0.1 which means "localhost".  You want it to
listen also on the LAN interface, which is probably 192.168.x.x.  We can
tell for sure if you post either the output of the "netstat -an"
command; or the settings for the Port, BindAddress, and Listen
directives in your httpd.conf.

The second thing is that you will most likely have to forward port 80 in
your router's setup if you want the site accessable from the external
internet.  If you don't do this then the router has no idea where
incoming requests are supposed to go, i.e. which computer to direct them
to.  This is a consequence of NAT, which is what lets you share a single
external IP address with any number of internal IP addresses.  If
"ipconfig /all" shows an IP address of 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x then you
have NAT and you'll need to configure port forwarding.

Brian