httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] why isn't my server public???
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2003 03:23:25 GMT
Ned Brush wrote:

> Thanks Brian - I think that was it.  I changed the
> port and it's working.  I should have tried that
> before asking for help.  Thanks to everybody for the
> advice.  I thought they'd block it completely.  How
> exactly do they block it, because I still get a
> request for port 80?

In their routers they either create a rule to drop inbound packets with
a destination port of 80/tcp, or outbound packets with a source port of
80/tcp.  (Or, both.)  In your case it looks like they're blocking
outbound but not inbound.  It's also very common for them to block
outbound packets with destination port 25/tcp.  This prevents the users
from delivering mail directly to SMTP servers, so that they must use the
ISP's mail server to relay mail.  This prevents spammers from sending
directly from their machines, as well as preventing trojaned boxes from
becoming spam relays.

Brian