httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] why isn't my server public???
Date Fri, 19 Dec 2003 21:19:28 GMT
Ned Brush wrote:

> I'm stumped!! I can access my server from my LAN, but
> I can't access it from the outside. I'm running a
> firewall, but I'm pretty sure that it is NOT my
> firewall or my ISP. With ethereal, I can see that I
> send a SYN, ACK back to the port that requested 80
> (outside on my LAN). I don't see anything in my
> httpd.conf that should be stopping access to the main
> pages, especially since anybody on my network can see
> them.  I've tried changing 'Listen 80' to 'Listen
> x.x.x.x:80' (where x.x.x.x is my ip).  Does anybody
> out there have any ideas?

Your isp might have traffic blocked on port 80 outbound.  Many ISPs do
this so that you can't run a server (or at least, not on 80.)  Try a
nonstandard port, if that works then that's your problem.  You can also
use a portscan utility (try grc.com) to see if port 80 is open from the
outside.

Also, if you have NAT then you need to forward port 80.  But if the
machine is receiving the incoming SYN on port 80 then this is not the
issue.

Brian