httpd-users mailing list archives

From Arturo P <pemb...@flashmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Hosts
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2003 23:39:51 GMT
Well Sir,

For starters...when on Linux and you're having a prob, most likely its
your fault. I've learnt that the hard way.

just fine. Here's how your internet works:

- You enter a URL into your browser
- It does a DNS look up for the domain in the url you entered
- If the domain exists, the lookup returns the IP of that domain
- Your browser then attempts to connect to the webserver on that IP on
port 80 assuming you don't specify a port
- The webserver responds to that request

In your case that's exactly what happens. But since you don't own
'www.testbox.com', the DNS lookup does not return the IP address of your
server. And so your Apache is never contacted by your browser.

The only way around this is to setup your own DNS server and get it to
respond lookup for 'www.testbox.com' with your servers IP address.

I personally just suggest that you purchase a domain name.

Arturo
{As a boy I jumped through Windows, as a man I played with Penguins}