httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] CGI script executing twice
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2003 07:22:58 GMT
Chris W wrote:

> > If I were you I'd download and install Ethereal and get a packet capture
> > of the entire browser-server conversation.  Something is obviously wrong
> > here, but without a capture it's rather like looking for a needle in a
> > haystack, blindfolded.  THere are precompiled Ethereal binaries for
> > windows, it's really not terribly hard to do.  You might also try
> > Mozilla's "live headers" plug-in.  There are doubtless countless other
> > programs that can achieve the same effect, but Ethereal is the old
> > standby.
>
> This can't be that hard. . . there has to be something I'm missing
> here.  This happens on a redhat 6.2 machine with Apache, a win 2k
> machine with Apache 2 and a redhat 9.0 machine with apache 2.

But that's kind of my point.  :-)  This is most likely something dumb
and stupid, but looking at log files, guessing about configurations, and
trying various permutations of html code is the slowest way possible to
solve it.  I'd bet $1 that if you saw exactly what was going on you'd
know exactly why the browser first tries a POST and then a GET.  And
doing this is very easy with Ethereal.

Brian