httpd-users mailing list archives

From Patrick Boutilier <bouti...@ednet.ns.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] FW: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 158.96.127.173:80 no listening sockets available, shutting down
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2003 01:15:55 GMT
netstat -nap --inet|grep -w 80|grep -i listen

Should tell you what process is bound to port 80.

Lawson.Adam wrote:
> Up to this point, I have been logged in as root... and haven't really tried to run as
anything other than root.
> Right now I took that fella's suggestion a bit further and re-installed the OS altogether
(learnng by repetition while I have the luxury). I'll then un-install RedHat's included HTTPD
server through the rpm manager then install Apache again from www.apache.org and give that
a go. I'll keep you updated on the progress.

> Adam

to address 158.96.127.173:80 no listening sockets available, shutting down

> 	My suggestion was to run it as root. Not to configure the conf file. Leave the user
and group as apache, login as root, and run apachectl start.

CFLAGS env variable!!and then rebuild the server.!!It is strongly suggested that"... blah
 blah

> 	I'm afraid I do not know how to do that- I don't recall seeing any environment variable
options when compiling Apache. Would that be what this error is referring to?