httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Default home page other than index.html
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2003 08:38:03 GMT
Steve Smith wrote:
> > b) is the DirectoryIndex directive placed in the correct context, so
> >     it applies to the directory in question?
>
> It was placed in the <VirtualHost> context by the GUI configuration tool.

Then check that there isn't a more specific DirectoryIndex directive
overriding it.

In a case like this:

    <VirtualHost *>
        DirectoryIndex a.html b.shtml
        DocumentRoot /path/to/somewhere
    </VirtualHost>

    <Directory /path/to/somewhere>
        DirectoryIndex index.html
    </Directory>

The last DirectoryIndex would apply to the doc root of the virtual host,
because it is more specific.

I would suggest putting the GUI tool in the trash can, and edit the
configuration by hand, and specify the directive in the doc root's
<Directory> block instead, which is generally a better idea.

Regards,
Robert Andersson