httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jonas Eckerman <jonas_li...@frukt.org>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] apache modification project..
Date Wed, 31 Dec 2003 00:53:18 GMT
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:51:59 -0800, bruce wrote:

>  2) Not quite sure how the Mod_Proxy function gets us to being able
>  to "fetch" files from a remote PC, and return them to the user's
>  browser issuing the command for the URL in question...

That's kind of exactly what mod_proxy is meant to do. Check the docs
for it, especially the directives ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse.

And if you use this, turn *off* ProxyRequests.

>  under the belief that there would have to be some mod of the
>  virtual host functions...

You only need to care about virtual hosts if you're using virtual
hosts. :-)

The proxy directives can be placed in a virtual host container if
that's what you need.

You can aslo use mod_proxy together with mod_cache to make a caching
proxy.

As for getting a whole bunch of machines to get their configs from one
central server, it's easy to see a multitude of ways to do this
without having to create any modules for Apache nor changing the
Apache source. FTP, wget, rsync comes to mind. As well as any other
protocol/method that lets you transfer a file from one machine to
another.

It's possible one could use mod_perl for this as well. I haven't ever
used mod_perl myself so I might well have misunderstood this
completely, but for some reason I'm under the impression that it lets
you use perl code in httpdconf.

Regards
/Jonas
--