httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jonas Eckerman <jonas_li...@frukt.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Having Problem with my Site Should I upgrade?
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2003 00:44:25 GMT
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 09:27:52 -0500, Ola Ogunneye wrote:

I'm assuming the problem you're having is that some links on your pages refer to http://localhost/*,
as that is what was evident last time I checked the site.

If my assumption is incorrect, please disregard the rest of this message and accept my apologies.

>  installed. However, in my quest to solve my problem, can I upgrade
>  to a newer binary version with the hope of changing my settings
>  during installation?

Most installs leave your runtime settings alone. If you want to change your settings, changing
the settings yourself will work a lot better than upgrading Apache and hoping the upgrade
gets telepathic and somehow changes settings the way you want them to be changed.

>  started when I did not have my DSL setup yet, and I think because
>  of that, all my installation was addressing localhost. Now I need
>  to change my configuration to reflect the proper site name.

In Apache you do that with ServerName, but you may also have to change it in the configs for
whatever scripts/apps you use to run your site.

>  changed the httpd.conf file but I am still having problem getting
>  my site to show on the internet.

Have you checked the settings for whatever app you use for the weblog etc on the site?

Are the links in your site hardcoded or dynamic? Do they include the hostname or not?

If they are hardcoded, you'll have to change each link. If they are dynamic, you can hopefully
change some settings in your software to get them right.

Anyway, this has little to do with Apache. You should check whatever forums are available
for the software you're using.

>  Would upgrading Apache help?

That would be highly unlikely.

There's a few things the Apache install doesn't (and shouldn't) know about that'd be required
for this to help:

1: What changes you want it to make to it's config.
2: How to change HTML documents on your system.
3: What changes you want to apply to wich HTML documents on your system.
4: How to change settings for other softwares you have on your system. Whatever they may be.
5: What changes you want to make to teh settings of what other softwares on your system.
6: How to change links that happens to be stored in som form or other in a MySQL database.
7: What changes you want to make to what subset of wich columns in wich tables in wich databases
in MySQL.

That's kind of a lot to ask of a simple installation package. And I'm happy that they haven't
tried to make it do all that.

Regards
/Jonas

--