httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Limiting the number of accesses per directory
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2003 14:35:52 GMT
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, Robert Andersson wrote:

> Robert Mena wrote:
> > I am facing a problem where a user's page
> > (mydomain.com/~login) is too popular taking as much as
> > 90% of the free daemons of my apache 1.3.X [...]
> >
> > I'd like to know what can I do to prevent that.
>
> What exactly is it you want to prevent? You are saying that this "page" is
> taking 90% of the _free_ children; how do you determine this and why does it
> matter?
>
> If you rather meant that it is taking 90% of all children ("slots"), you may
> want to turn off Keep-Alive or lower the timeout, but that depends very much
> on the nature of this "page".

It does indeed.  The OP mentioned PHP, which could be suppressing
keepalive.  In that case enabling it (with a low timeout value) could
be a huge improvement (one TCP connection for the page, as opposed
to a separate one for every image, stylesheet, script, etc).

> > Besides mod_bandwidth what would you recommend ?
>
> mod_throttle?

Upgrading to Apache 2 and Worker MPM, if your PHP can cope.

--
Nick Kew