httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] UTF-8 with Apache2 and Windows
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2003 23:40:37 GMT
On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, Cataphract wrote:

hehe, useful little time machine:-)

> > Hi, Apache is showing the directory listings in UTF-8. How do I change
> > it to ISO-8859-1?
>
> Can't be done, as far as I know.  Windows filenames are UTF-8, so apache
> is technically correct here.  But I guess it has some bad consequences.

Why does it have bad consequences?  Surely UTF-8 is pretty well supported
these days, provided it's correctly labelled as such.  That might
call for a [Set|Add]Charset directive.

If you really want to convert, why not use a transcoding module?
IIRC mod_charset_lite is bundled with Apache as standard.

--
Nick Kew