httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] InterShop Markup Language support for Apache
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2003 23:33:04 GMT
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Boyle Owen wrote:

> [...]

Looks like an underspecified question.  If that's some form of XML,
then all you need is (for example) an AddType directive to serve
it as a suitable type, such as text/xml or application/xml.

> Since this is a commercial XML it presumably needs a proprietary
> application to interpret it... Generally speaking, you need a JVM to run
> the Java servlet that process the XML and convert it to HTML.

Erm "the java servlet"?  That's jumping to a _very_ heavyweight
conclusion.   If you want to convert proprietary XML to HTML then a
Namespace handler or even an XSLT transform make much more sense.

> This is why I answered "yes" to your first question. Apache can serve
> any file which can be generated by another application. Your problem is
> to find a back-end that can interpret ISML.

Either you're serving it or you're converting it to something else
like HTML.  AFAICS the OP didn't specify.

--
Nick Kew