httpd-users mailing list archives

From Paul Simon <wreckmyb...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] SSL network performance impact?
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:20:23 GMT
> I've been asked what the impact of using SSL is,
> from a network utilization point of view.  There are
> lots of studies
> and discussions about SSL on webserver CPU, but I
> cannot find any on network utilization.

My understanding is that the bottleneck is with the
Server CPU encrypting and decrypting. You could try
using apache benchmark against a NON-ssl request then
an SSL one. Apache benchmark has these fields,
including others:

Document Length:        4296 bytes
Connection Times (ms)
              min  mean[+/-sd] median   max
Connect:       31   31   0.0     31      31
Processing:   236  236   0.0    236     236
Waiting:      -84  -83   0.0    -84       0
Total:        267  267   0.0    267     267

That might give you some idea of the impact SSL has.

Paul