httpd-users mailing list archives

From os...@gewis.nl (Oscar Craane)
Subject [users@httpd] Very slow start-up of apache 2.0.47-48 on 64-bit AIX
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2003 23:44:13 GMT
Hello all,

We have just built both apache 2.0.48 on an IBM RS/6000 2cpu
P660 machine. The build finishes without problems. However when we start
the apache server (apachectl start) it takes over 15 minutes to become
operational, while the load of the server is nill (cpu, disk etc)

Here are some further details:
- We also compiled the same versions on slower 32-bit AIX machines and there
everything works perfectly (startup within a second).
- The AIX version we're running is: 4330-11
- IBM HTTPServer (1.4.3 apache) runs OK on the same machine
- We compiled the code both on the 64-bit as on the 32-bit machines with
the same (slow) result.
- We used: ./configure --prefix=/usr/apache2 --enable-ssl --enable-so
- When run with the debug flag, it does not seem to be slower. It takes 8 minutes for the
first line
([Mon Dec 08 23:52:18 2003] [info] Init: Initializing OpenSSL library)
to appear in the error_log
- Start-up does not drastically improve when compiling without SSL.
- Same behavior for 2.0.47
- After the 15 minutes the http server does seem to work OK, even the
SSL, however as you might agree I am very hesitant to switch over with
this kind of behaviour.

Obviously there is something seriously wrong with what we are doing, we
just can;t seem to figure out what !

Thanks for your time and your help,

Kind Regards,

Oscar Craane