httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lynn Schaper <scha...@Colorado.EDU>
Subject [users@httpd] SSI problem 1.3 vs. 2.0
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 20:52:34 GMT
I have a site that I'm upgrading from 1.3.26 to 2.0.48.  SSI's are only
allowed for .shtml files in httpd.conf.  Here's the 1.3.26 configuration
for SSI and override:

  DocumentRoot "/usr/local/apache/htdocs"
  <Directory "/usr/local/apache/htdocs">
      Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes
      AllowOverride All
      Order allow,deny
      Allow from all
  </Directory>

  AccessFileName .htaccess
  <Files .htaccess>
      Order allow,deny
      Deny from all
  </Files>

  AddType text/html .shtml
  AddHandler server-parsed .shtml

Users have added SSI for .html files by creating .htaccess in their
subdir under htdocs.  The .htaccess file contains:
     AddType text/x-server-parsed-html html

When I switch to apache2, instead of displaying, my browser tries to
download the .html files, telling me they are of the type
"text/x-server-parsed-html".  Here are the related conf lines:

  DocumentRoot "/usr/local/apache/htdocs"
  <Directory "/usr/local/apache/htdocs">
      Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes
      AllowOverride All
      Order allow,deny
      Allow from all
  </Directory>

  AccessFileName .htaccess
  <Files ~ "^\.ht">
      Order allow,deny
      Deny from all
  </Files>

  AddType text/html .shtml
  AddOutputFilter INCLUDES .shtml

If I change the .htaccess file to (I remove the AddType):
   AddHandler server-parsed html
it works fine under both versions.

My problem is that I'd rather not find and change all .htaccess files.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_include.html says that

  For backwards compatibility, the server-parsed handler also activates
  the INCLUDES filter.   As well, Apache will activate the INCLUDES
  filter for any document with mime type text/x-server-parsed-html or
  text/x-server-parsed-html3 (and the resulting output will have the
  mime type text/html).

I'm not getting the behavior described in the second sentence.  Is there
something I can add or change without changing individual .htaccess
files?

Lynn
--
    Lynn Schaper                        Schaper@colorado.edu
    Information Technology Services     Central and Unix Services