httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] MIME types
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 11:22:04 GMT
Christophe Muller wrote:
> I have downloaded ethereal. But do you know in what type of packet
> I should find the header of the DOC file ?

I take that you mean the header/s of the HTTP response of the .doc file.
Word's internal headers are irrelevant to us.

What should happen when a client requests the document is this:

Client sends request to server:

    GET /path/to/word.doc HTTP/1.1
    Host: www.domain.tld
    etc...

The server responds like this:

    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    ...some more headers...

    (Word document data)

So, these are the normal HTTP headers you are looking for. I suggest you
start Ethereal on one of the misbehaving clients, start capturing just
before you click the link, and then stop the capture when the it has loaded
the document. Look for HTTP packets starting with "GET /..." (request) and
"HTTP/1.1 200 ..." (response).

Regards,
Robert Andersson