httpd-users mailing list archives

From "PINNI, BALANAND (SBCSI)" <bp3...@sbc.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] apachectl issue
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2003 21:42:02 GMT
Are u checking for PID file in ur startup rotatelog script. Because after
deletion of pid file it works ok. This shows that you are checking for pid
file in your rotate log script and allowing http to start only if http.pid
file is there .

If that is not true try using startup in back ground with & ending in the
script else if ksh is dying use ksh just before the apachectl cmd . After
coming out of  shell script sub shell will still exist.

This seems to be Unix issue. Try with just back ground startup it should
work.

#nohup apachectl start >/dev/null 2>&1 &

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Warchol [mailto:Warchol@harthosp.org]
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 3:08 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] apachectl issue

Hello:
           Running Red Hat 9, with Apache built from sources.  Using
logrotate to rotate the logs on weekly basis, post rotation within the
logrotate script we're using "apachectl restart" to restart apache.
This used to work great under RH 7.3 (running Apache/1.3.26 (Unix)
mod_perl/1.27), however under RH 9, I see the following message in the
log:

[Wed Dec 24 07:02:07 2003] [notice] SIGHUP received.  Attempting to
restart

Apache does not restart. Doing a ps -ef | grep http verifies that no
httpd processes are running.  Upon further examination, the pid file is
out there, /var/run/httpd.pid.  The quick solution is to delete the pid
file and do a "apachectl start" and it starts up ok.  I see the
following message in the new log after starting:

[Wed Dec 24 07:03:10 2003] [notice] Apache/1.3.28 (Unix) mod_perl/1.29
mod_ssl/2.8.15 OpenSSL/0.9.7a configured -- resuming normal operations
[Wed Dec 24 07:03:10 2003] [notice] Accept mutex: sysvsem (Default:
sysvsem)

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks,
Dave