httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael Scott <msc...@pyewacket.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Newbie Question
Date Sat, 27 Dec 2003 17:47:09 GMT
Quoting Donald Henson <wepin@wepin.com>:

> (I'll bet you've never seen that subject before.)   :-)
>
> I'm a double newbie. I've been trying to learn everything about Linux
> (SuSe Linux 9.0 Pro) for about four months. I'm just today starting to
> try to learn something about Apache (1.2.38). Apache was installed by
> default when I installed Linux so I know next to nothing about
> administering Apache.

Donald, I'm in somewhat the same situation as you, though I've been using Linux
for several years.  I know how frustrating the documantation can be.  It's
usually thrown together as an afterthought, and as any programmer knows, writing
the docs is the least fun part of any project.  That's why most big companies
hire technical writers to do that part.  Plus, the programmers have the annoying
habit of assuming everyone knows as much about their software and the OS as they
do.  IMO, this will have to be resolved if Linux ever wants to become a
mainstream product for anyone other than Uber-Geeks.

OK Enough ranting.  I purchased the O'Reilly book "Apache, The Definitive
Guide".  It does a good job of explaining all the details of the httpd.conf
file, and even has step-by step tutorials on building a web site.  The only
problem with this type of book is, by the time it's published, it's somewhat
obsolete, so you have to have to go to the online docs to learn new features.
But at least it lets you get your feet wet.  I hope this helps.