httpd-users mailing list archives

From Donald Henson <we...@wepin.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Newbie Question
Date Sat, 27 Dec 2003 16:05:00 GMT
(I'll bet you've never seen that subject before.)   :-)

I'm a double newbie. I've been trying to learn everything about Linux
(SuSe Linux 9.0 Pro) for about four months. I'm just today starting to
try to learn something about Apache (1.2.38). Apache was installed by
default when I installed Linux so I know next to nothing about
administering Apache.

I have attempted to learn several Linux software packages. One thing I
have observed is that in most cases, the Linux software works great but
the help tends to be not there at all or somewhat arcane if present.
(Help tends to come from mailing lists like this one rather than a
formal help system.) For example, I might look up a how-to on, say, how
to save files in XYZ. Instead of a simple instruction like "Click the
Save Button", there's a long and involved discussion of various file
systems. So...

Can anyone point me to a tutorial-style help system for Apache that will
lead me through some of the basic functions of Apache without assuming
that I'm an experienced network administrator? Something with a gui
would be best but anything that works will do. Thanks for any assistance
as several other learning tasks depend on this one being successful.

Don Henson