httpd-users mailing list archives

From tom <landslid...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Can't get suexec to work with apache 2
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2003 18:32:48 GMT
On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 18:08, Joshua Slive wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, tom wrote:
> > I've created a directory /www, which will contain subdirectories with
> > each users name, and then created a symlink: /home/username/www ->
> > /www/username. The scripts are executed from /www/username/cgi-bin
> > (pointed to by the ScriptAlias in the config file0. In fact, just for
> > testing purposes, I've even tried eliminating the symlink and putting
> > everything directly into the /home/username directory (as it would be
> > normally), but the results are the same.
>
> I don't believe that suexec will work with symlinks, although I haven't
> checked in the code lately.
>
> Does suexec appear enabled when you do "./httpd -V"?

No, but it does appear enabled in the error_log.

> What EXACTLY is the URL that you are using to access the scripts?

localhost/~userdir/testscript.php

> What EXACTLY is the filesystem location of the scripts?

/home/userdir/www, with www symlinked to /www/username

> I assume php is running as a CGI script, right?  suexec works ONLY for CGI
> scripts.

If you mean, "is it being accessed from the cgi-bin," no.

I cut out the symlink stuff, created a cgi-bin in the ScriptAliased
directory, and put my test script there. Now it appears as though suexec
is running at least- there is an suexec_log, and it does indicate that
the scripts are being accessed. My only problem at this point seems to
be figuring out why the scripts fail with an internal server error,
saying that the log file cannot be opened (which log file isn't clear).

Apparently the rules for UserDir-based scripts are a little more strict
than for those for virtual hosts (where you can specify separate
ScriptAliased directories).