httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Richard F. Rebel" <rre...@whenu.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Increasing MaxClients -- httpd.conf
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2003 19:46:54 GMT

Hi,

If you are not expecting multiple requests over the same socket, you can
disable KeepAlives with:

KeepAlive Off

If you wish to continue supporting KeepAlive, then you can lower the
KeepAliveTimeout with:

KeepAliveTimeout 5

You should include the version of apache and the OS when making requests
to the list.  Apache 2.x supports a threaded MPM called 'worker' that
works well for high volumes of simul connections.

FYI if you are using Apache 1.x there is a compile time option limiting
the max number for MaxClients.  I think it's set to 256 or 500 or
something small, so if you have the memory, increase this setting and
recompile (it's in httpd.h).  There is documentation on the apache site
for this.  Don't forget to increase your available file descriptors as
well.

Best,

Richard F. Rebel