httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Authentication problems
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:36:15 GMT
Stephen Hardisty wrote:
> Cheers, but I tried that and I still don't get prompted for a username &
> password.

Are you sure you don't have more than one section applying to that location?
The basic test is to have *only* this:

    <Directory /var/www/html/blah>
        Order allow,deny
        Deny from all
    </Directory>

And make sure these are the only directives that apply to this location;
watch out for <Location>, aliases and mod_rewrite stuff. You *must* first
make the above section prevent you from accessing /blah/, only then can you
worry about getting basic authentication etc working.

If this is a live host, you might want to set up a parallell Virtual Host
from scratch to experiment with.

Regards,
Robert Andersson