httpd-users mailing list archives

From "bruce" <bedoug...@earthlink.net>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] apache question...
Date Fri, 26 Dec 2003 04:01:27 GMT
the primary reason for me looking to dynamically change the pages/sites
without restarting the server is because i'm considering the situation where
the owner of the apache process might not want it to be stopped/started,
even if only for a few seconds...

-bruce

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Dessent [mailto:brian@dessent.net]
Sent: Thursday, December 25, 2003 3:19 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] apache question...

bruce wrote:

> i'm interested in how i could go about dynamically changing the actual
> pages/sites on a web server without having to restart the actual apache
> service/daemon....
>
> the only way i could see to do it.. would be to have some mechanism that
> periodically goes and reads the config file... which would essentially
> require me to rewrite a chunck of apache...
>
> i was hoping that there's an easier way...
>
> i'm looking to be able to dynamically configure an apache server to have
> 50-100 sites that will change every so often.. by changing, i mean the
name
> of the sites will change, as well as the site/page content, as well as the
> URLs...

The only thing that I could see a need for changing in the httpd.conf
file would be adding or removing virtual hosts.  THe rest of it really
doesn't need to be in there.  If you want to change URLs, just change
the filesystem layout.  To change content, modify the file.  I don't see
why that requires rereading the whole config file.  But, even if it does
I don't get why 'apachectl graceful' won't work.  It's not like anyone
would be able to tell that the server restarted.

Brian