httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jeff White" <jlw...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache modification project..
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:50:09 GMT

From: "bruce" <bedouglas@earthlink.net>

1.  What OS and web server version?

> The basic goal is to be able to have a modified Apache Server at a
given IP> 1.2.3.4.
> When the Server gets a request for a given URL/Site,
> it in turn
> gets the site from a remote PC/Server.
> The information is then displayed to
> the browser issuing the request.

Like below maybe?

The Chicago user's browser requests
http://example.com/dallastx/a.htm

The Fort Worth Texas server registered
as example.com receives the Chicago
browser's request and sees the Dallas,
Texas special characters of /dallastx/
within the browser's request.

To the Fort Worth server (example.com),
these special characters /dallastx/ means
"re-send this request to the Dallas server".

This "re-send action" is defined in the
Ft. Worth server's conf file something
like the below example.

In the Ft. Worth server's conf file:

In the "LoadModule" section add:

#
#  To forward off request to other
#  servers, turn on the needed modules
#  mod_proxy.so
#  mod_proxy_connect.so
#  mod_proxy_http.so
#  And maybe even some mod_rewite.so
#
LoadModule proxy_connect_module modules/mod_proxy_connect.so
#

And then in a "Location" section add:

#
# Send the request to Dallas Texas
# and tell the Dallas server it's from
# us - the Fort Worth server.
#
<Location /dallastx/ >
  ProxyPass   http://exampleRemoteOne/ftworthtx/
  ProxyPassReverse   http://exampleRemoteOne/ftworthtx/
</Location>
#
# Send the request to Grapevine Texas
# and tell the Grapevine server it's from
# us - the Fort Worth server.
#
<Location /grapevinetx/ >
  ProxyPass   http://exampleRemoteTwo/ftworthtx/
  ProxyPassReverse   http://exampleRemoteTwo/ftworthtx/
</Location>
#

So the Ft. Worth server will see the special
characters /dallastx/ in the request and
will send the request for the file a.htm off to
the Dallas Texas server.

The Ft Worth server now waits for the
Dallas server to return back the requested
a.htm file.

Now the Dallas server see's the IP address
of the request and the characters /ftworthtx/
within the request and assumes (security ???)
these both mean this is from the Fort Worth
server and that the Ft. Worth server is currently
requesting the a.htm file from the Dallas server.

So the Dallas server sends back the a.htm file
to the Fort Worth server, just like it does for
most browser actions.

The Ft. Worth server receives the a.htm file
from the Dallas server.

Then the Fort Worth server sends off the a.htm
file to the user's browser waiting in Chicago.

2. Is the above close to what you want?

> We would like the modified Apache Server to be able to access the
required
> config information from the remote server as well...

snip

> Our goal is to have as
> small a footprint for the modified Apache app

snip

> 3) Our goal is to allow the modified Apache app to actually "read"
the
> config information from a remote machine...

So you want small web servers, in Dallas Texas
and in Grapevine, Texas (and 300 other locations)
reacting only to the Fort Worth Texas web server
requests?  Or from any browser or server? Up
and running 24/7 in Dallas? Or only certain times
in Dallas? etc?

Also you want the Dallas Texas server to obtain
new conf files from files stored on the Fort Worth
server?

Also you want the Grapevine Texas server (and
the other 300 servers) to obtain new conf files
from files stored on the Fort Worth server?

Yes you can obtain the remotes conf file from
the Fort Worth location.

A major way this is done, depends on the OS.

But basicly, one would write the remote conf files
from any office location in the world.  Then one
would store these remote conf files on the
Fort Worth server.

Now at a certain time, or via a certain request or
a certain admin action, a script (or a program) on
the Dallas Texas server would request the new
conf file from the Fort Worth server.

Then after the Dallas server gets the new conf file,
the program/script would replace the old conf file
or just restart the web server using the new conf file.

3. You want something like the above?

> Any solution has to be able to be rolled out with a minimum of pain
with
> regards to ongoing/future maintenance...

4. Impossible in the computer world :)

Jeff