httpd-users mailing list archives

From <deb...@elastic.nl>
Subject [users@httpd] [httpd] Undescribeble problems, but I'll try...
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2003 13:05:56 GMT
Hi there

I have this really weird Apache Httpd problem

When xx weeks/days have past, Apache just stops servering webpages. The
daemon is still running and all seems OK. System load is normal and all
other services just work perfectly.

The daemon can not be restarted normally and a graceful restart will result
in this:

    /var/www/bin/apachectl graceful: httpd not running, trying to start
    /var/www/bin/apachectl graceful: httpd started

    [Wed Dec 10 11:44:46 2003] [crit] (98)Address already in use: make_sock:
    could not bind to port 80

Seems like apache keeps on logging for a while, since some httpd request are
more than once in de logs at the time this weird problem occurs. Could be
because clients keep reloading the page Apache won't serve. Since this is
not a very busy webserver, logging either stops or visitors go away... I
am not sure.

I stop the daemon with a "kill -HUP" and then start it again... all is fine
then.

Some info about the apache on  a DEBIAN server:
[Wed Dec 10 11:47:46 2003] [notice] Apache/1.3.29 (Unix) mod_macro/1.1.2
AuthMySQL/2.20 PHP/4.3.4 mod_ssl/2.8.16 OpenSSL/0.9.6c configured --
resuming normal operations

Since it's a Debian server, there should be no more bugs in the OpenSSL
module I use.

Apache 1.3.28 was already replaced by 1.3.29 (not a Debian package, but
compiled from source). The motherbord and cpu is alse changed, but not
because of this problem.

Nothing is in the Crontab that could generate this error, I already checked.

After the accident I put server-status on and I'm logging its output hoping
to see something when the problem happens again. Right now the server-status
does not show any thing suspicious (see below this mail).

I tried to search with google, and in some dutch forums. But since I don't
know
what keywords I should use to find an answer, this didn't work out.

Maybe I forgot some important details.. just ask and I will reply.

Anyone suggestions? It would help :)

Vaplu.