httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Richard Correia" <richard.corr...@ugamsolutions.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Increasing MaxClients -- httpd.conf
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2003 20:14:53 GMT
Hi All,

It's great.

After some analysis, I simply turn off my keepalive.

Now It serves much faster.

Though CPU load is increased, my webserver is 80% faster now.

Thank you all.

Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Slive [mailto:joshua@slive.ca]
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 1:22 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org; richard.correia@ugamsolutions.com
Cc: 'Robert Andersson'
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Increasing MaxClients -- httpd.conf

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Richard Correia wrote:
> I am getting huge number of hits on my server, so I have increased the
> MaxClients to 256. Now it seems like all my 256 clients are being used
> and many requests are waiting in pool. Or at this point my apache is
> denying further connections ?

It queues up to ListenBacklog and then denies.

> How can I compile my apache to raise MaxClients limits ?

[assuming apache 1.3] add -D HARD_SERVER_LIMIT=1024 to your CFLAGS env
variable before compiling, or edit src/include/httpd.h and change the
HARD_SERVER_LIMIT define.

> My all
> processes are in K mode [Keep-Alive ]. If I reduce the Keepalive time,
> will that help me ?

Yes.

> Because all this hits are coming to a single url, which just send a
> cookie. Not much data. And I don't see multiple requests happening on
> single socket.

If each client is sending only a single request to your server, then
keep-alives do you no good at all.  Turn them off and you'll be able to
handle lots more hits.

Joshua.