httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Florian Effenberger" <flo...@arcor.de>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_rewrite, suEXEC and error pages
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:56:07 GMT
Hi there,

I hope my question has not been asked a hundred times before.

I use Apache with suEXEC, which has been working fine for the last couple of
months. Some users have the privilege to publish their own sub-sites. These
sites do use suEXEC as well. Normally, they had to be opened via "~user",
but in order to make them available with other paths, I have created the
following rule in several VHosts:

RewriteRule ^/sub-site$ /sub-site/ [R]
RewriteCond %{SERVER_PORT} ^80$
RewriteRule ^/sub-site/(.*) http://www.virtual.domain/~users/$1 [P]

I.e. the user "user" can upload his page separately, while it still uses
suEXEC and is available via "/sub-site".

1.) I'm not good at doing mod_rewrite, so I think the above could be written
in a more easy way. Any ideas? ;-)

2.) The only crook is, that on error sites or directory listings I now - of
course - see "Index of ~user" or "Could not find ~user/non.existant.html".
What could I do to replace ~user with sub-site in here, when I want to use
suEXEC?

Thanks a lot!
Florian