httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Thomas George" <tgeo...@ibaset.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] FW: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 158.96.127.173:80 no listening sockets available, shutting down
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2003 00:48:49 GMT
My suggestion was to run it as root. Not to configure the conf file. Leave
the user and group as apache, login as root, and run apachectl start.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lawson.Adam [mailto:Adam.Lawson@ftb.ca.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 3:44 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] FW: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could
not bind to address 158.96.127.173:80 no listening sockets available,
shutting down

from console, "vi httpd .conf"

edited as follows:

user root

group apache

Result:

Long error when attempting to start httpd service...

<relevant portion of error>

"...!!If you still desire to serve pages as root then!!add
-DBIG_SECURITY_HOLE to the CFLAGS env variable!!and then rebuild the
server.!!It is strongly suggested that"... blah  blah

I'm afraid I do not know how to do that- I don't recall seeing any
environment variable options when compiling Apache. Would that be what this
error is referring to?