httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Thomas George" <tgeo...@ibaset.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Re: Default https
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 22:23:57 GMT
I thought so.. but when I did a -h, it did not show up in the help section.

What does the -k do..?

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Slive [mailto:joshua@slive.ca]
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 1:59 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Re: Default https

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Thomas George wrote:

> Apache -k is used in win32 for starting apache as a service.. see:
>
> 	http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/platform/windows.html#winsvc

> >I did
> >
> >$ service httpd stop
> >$ service httpd start
>
> Norman, as a newbie I would like to ask if there's a difference in effect
> doing things your way and
>
> apachectl -k restart
>
> which is how I've been restarting after httpd.conf changes on my fbsd
> server.

-k can also be used on unix.

The difference between the "service" technique and the apachectl technique
is that in the former, the OS controls the process and in the latter
apache does.  The "-k restart" technique is probably better, since it
assures that all resources have been properly freed before apache is
started again.

Even better is to use "apachectl -k graceful", which restarts apache
without dropping any existing connections.

Joshua.