httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Thomas George" <tgeo...@ibaset.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] FW: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 158.96.127.173:80 no listening sockets available, shutting down
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 23:30:27 GMT
Try running it as 'root'.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lawson.Adam [mailto:Adam.Lawson@ftb.ca.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 2:49 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] FW: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not
bind to address 158.96.127.173:80 no listening sockets available, shutting
down

Hello,

	New and enthusiatic (yet frustrated) linux/Apache user with a
problem I haven't been able to resolve thus far and need help from the
experts. Please let me know and accept my apologies if this is the wrong
mailing list for Apache support.

	Environment:
	First time linux install, second attempt to run Apache. (Last
attempt worked with many bugs so I re-installed RH9 and tried again, now
seeing this problem).
	I am running RH9 with Apache v2.0.40 binary compiled from scratch
(.tar.gz) as downloaded and installed following instructs expressly as
possible by apache.org
	HTTPD was installed during the RH installation process and the box
is on a network with PUBLIC IP addresses - this machine 9also with a public
IP) is the machine on which I am trying to get Apache to run.
	* Admin'g server using Webmin browser-based admin tool

	Problem/ Experience Level:
	ERROR REC'D when trying to start the httpd service:
	"(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address
158.96.127.173:80 no listening sockets available, shutting down"

	I cannot start the HTTPD service due to the error message in the
subject. I am EXTREMELY new to linux and the steps to run an apache
webserver.

	Attempted fixes:
	Re-install Apache (in case I had an old version)
	Checked http.conf for duplicate Listen directives
	Set RH Security Level to NO FIREWALL
	Made sure HTTPD service tries to start at boot-up
	Deleted all rules form iptables from within Webmin
(/etc/sysconfig/iptables does not exist)
	I do not know what else I am missing. Apache just refuses to start.
Help!

	AdamL
	IBM Global Services