httpd-users mailing list archives

From "John B" <apa...@jbnet.cns-uk.org>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_proxy and caching
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 20:46:03 GMT
Hi all,

I am using Apache 2.0.48 on Windows 2000 with mod_proxy to reverse proxy to a number of back-end
servers.
The Apache box is configured with basic authentication enabled, and it then forwards the credentials
to the back end servers.

The link between the front-end Apache box and the back-end servers is not as fast as it could
be, so I'd like to have Apache cache as much content (images etc.) from the back-end servers
as possible.
However, am I right in thinking that mod_cache will not cache any resources where authentication
is involved.

If so, is there any way around this - can I tell mod_cache to still cache *.gif, *.jpg etc.
even though they may be protected with authentication?

Failing that, could I have authentication enabled for all files apart from images?
I've used:
<Proxy *>
  AuthName "My server"
  AuthType Basic
  [...]
</Proxy>

to force authentication for all proxied resources - how could I turn authentication off for
particular file types?

Many thanks,

John