httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Andre Schild" <A.Sch...@aarboard.ch>
Subject Antw: [users@httpd] Re: Apache not forwarding to Tomcat
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2003 15:36:38 GMT
As stated in the manuals, mod_jk.conf is recreated at each startup.
So don't put your manual changes in there. The httpd.conf is the
better
place for manual changes.

We ourself have all the mod_jk config in the main httpd.conf and the
includes
per virtual host. We don't use the autogenerated config file at all.

Another question:

Why did you use mod_jk and not mod_jk2 ?
Since mod_jk is no longer actively developped, I would
suggest that you directly go to mod_jk2.

We will make the switch from mod_jk to mod_jk2
early next year too.

André

>>> j_joensuu@yahoo.com 27.11.2003 15:30:48 >>>
OK, now I did as follows:

1. added the following line to the "localhost:/examples" section in
mod_jk.conf:

    JkMount /examples/jsp/*.jsp  ajp13

2. started Tomcat
3. started Apache

The weird thing is that the system then worked...but when I then looked
at the mod_jk.conf file, Tomcat(?) had removed the line I added. It
looks like it only wanted to keep the lines that already were there.
Another issue is that when I now restarted Tomcat and Apache, the system
stopped working again. Unless I maybe should start them in a specific
order and / or wait a few seconds before starting the second one(?)

br,

Jarmo

Andre Schild <A.Schild@aarboard.ch> wrote:
Hello Jarmo,

the problem is in fact, that you tell Apache to handle all non-jsp
pages,
and the index.html is handled by Apache and not forwarded to Tomcat.

If you wish Tomcat to handle all files in the /jsp directory,
you will have to add this to your config:

JkMount /jsp/* ajp13

André

>>> j_joensuu@yahoo.com 27.11.2003 13:23:13 >>>
Hi Andre,

the file is a bit too large to send to the group, so I opened a free
web site account with angelfire and placed it there. It can be now
found
at:

http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/jjoensuu/mod_jk.conf.txt

thanks,

JJ

Andre Schild wrote:
Hello,

Could you please give us the content of the mod_jk.conf file ?
As the index.html file is a normal HTML file, it is intended to be
served by apache. And here it looks like you apache server isn't
seeing the correct path.

Probably you miss a setting for the jsp directory.

André

>>> j_joensuu@yahoo.com 27.11.2003 12:02:58 >>>
Hi all,

I have this problem that my Apache 2.0.47 server does not forward any
requests to my Tomcat 4.1 server (both running locally on my Thinkpad
with W2K Pro). I am using mod_jk_1.2.5_2.0.47.dll for the ajp13
protocol.

To be more specific, if I open a browser on my computer and enter the
url

http://localhost/examples/jsp/index.html

into the address field, I get the error:

404 Not Found
The requested URL /examples/jsp/index.html was not found on this
server.
Apache/2.0.47 (Win32) mod_jk/1.2.0 Server at localhost Port 80

I also get the following error in the Apache error.log log:
[Thu Nov 27 12:15:53 2003] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not
exist: C:/Apache/Apache2/htdocs/examples

which indicates that Apache does not route the request to Tomcat.

MORE DETAILS:

1. the examples folder is installed to
C:\Tomcat\Tomcat-4.1\webapps\examples and

2. I have included the following line in the httpd.conf file:
include "C:/Tomcat/Tomcat-4.1/conf/auto/mod_jk.conf"

3. I have checked that the directories defined in the
"localhost:/examples" section in the
C:\Tomcat\Tomcat-4.1\conf\auto\mod_jk.conf file are valid, and that
the
file also contains the following lines:

LoadModule jk_module c:/apache/Apache2/modules/mod_jk.dll

JkWorkersFile "C:/Tomcat/Tomcat-4.1/conf/jk/workers.properties"

4. I have checked that the directories defined in the
C:\Tomcat\Tomcat-4.1\conf\jk\workers.properties file are valid.

5. I have checked that the directories defined in the Examples Context
-->in C:\Tomcat\Tomcat-4.1\conf\server.xml are valid.

6. If I enter http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/index.html into the
browsers address field, the page opens without problems.

---

I have checked and re-checked my settings but feel quite lost at this
point. I am wondering whether my jk module (or some other part of the
setup) is listening / communicating on the wrong port...but which port
would then be correct? My Tomcat stderr.log states that: "ajp13
listening on /0.0.0.0:8009", but how do I know if I should change that
to something else?

Assistance on resolving this would be very appreciated...

thanks,

Jarmo