httpd-users mailing list archives

From Larry McFarlane <LMcFarl...@tconl.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] About SSL , Help!
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 13:07:06 GMT
Mark,

Download openssl.  I'm assuming this is on a Linux system.  If not, I
can't be of much help.  I've always installed openssl before Apache so
this is how I do it:  (I'm pretty much copying and pasting my instructions)

Download the latest version of openssl and place it in the /usr/local
directory
tar -zxvf the file

Change to the openssl directory and issue the following commands
./config --prefix=/usr/local -mcpu=i486
make
make test
make install

#NOTE:  the ssl directives in this config
Download Apache2
tar -zxvf the file in /usr/local
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache2 --enable-so --enable-cgi
--enable-info --enable-rewrite --enable-speling --enable-usertrack
--enable-deflate --enable-ssl --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl
--enable-mime-magic --enable-expire
make
make install

Since you're 16, I'm assuming you don't have the dough to dish out for a
$200 - $600 certificate.  (Hell, I'm 34 and don't have the funds for this
myself)  In this case, you can get a "test" cert from Verisign.  While you
will still have an alert (after the 2 week expiration period), you're
still encrypted if your visitor accepts the cert.  While not as
aesthetically pleasing, it still does the job.  Google openssl test
certificate on how to do this and you should be good to go...If not, let
me know!