httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] newbie request for help
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:59:43 GMT

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, homesupp wrote:
> i've got red hat 9.0 installed and trying to get the apache webserver up and
> running.
> i've spent 25+hours and still have little more than a vague idea of how its
> ...'meant to work'....
> can anyone shed some light, a few links to some tutes?
> i fear that my brain is so microsoft'ized that i cant gel all that i am
> reading to something that makes sense.
> i'll keep plugging away but would appreciate any pointers..

There are some apache 1.3 tutorials here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/tutorials.html
Even though you are probably using 2.0, most of the configuration remains
the same, so they should still be useful.

Two other suggestions:

1. Ask specific questions.  There is no way we can guess what problems you
are running into and what questions you have.  Without at least a basic
idea of your level of knowledge, it is impossible to help you.

2. Consider buying an apache book.  There are many good ones out there.
http://httpd.apache.org/info/apache_books.html
The online apache docs are very comprehensive, but they tend to start at a
fairly high level.  Many of the books, on the other hand, are better for
learning the basics.

Joshua.