httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Folder Redirect to backend Web Server Question
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:42:02 GMT

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Jez Hancock wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 11:26:24AM -0500, Gary Shadley wrote:
> >
> > Using this address, http://www.dc-marion.ohio-state.edu/Arabic, I would
> > like to redirect the folder Arabic to get its data from a backend Web
> > server using http://www3.dc-marion.ohio-state.edu.  Is there a way to
> > redirect the folder "Arabic" on the front-end server to get its data
> > from the backend server?  I don't want the client to know that the data
> > is coming from the backend-server. I would like the client to see
> > http://www/dc-marion.ohio-state.edi/arabic.
> The Redirect mod_alias directive allows you to redirect a URI to a
> different URL:
>
> Redirect /Arabic http://www3.dc-marion.ohio-state.edu/
>
> see here for more info:
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_alias.html#redirect

No, this isn't what he is looking for.  He specifies that he doesn't want
the client to see the backend server.  In that case, the frontend server
needs to grab the data and return it to the client.  That is called a
reverse proxy.  See the docs for mod_proxy.

It will look something like this (in httpd.conf):
ProxyPass /Arabic/ http://www3.dc-marion.ohio-state.edu/
ProxyPassReverse /Arabic/ http://www3.dc-marion.ohio-state.edu/

Joshua.