httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache / apachectl environment sanity
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:20:04 GMT

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Jez Hancock wrote:
> The issue is with the apachectl script not starting the httpd in a clean
> environment, leading to the shell environment of the user that invoked
> the apachectl script being available to other apache modules (PHP for
> one).
>
> In the case of PHP the environment of the apachectl-invoking-user
> is available _by default_ in the $_ENV superglobals array.
>
> The simple solution I'm using right now (along with many others no
> doubt) is to simply add the following to my (freebsd specific) apachectl
> script:

> - HTTPD=`echo /usr/bin/env -i $HTTPD`

Although this is a perfectly valid thing to do for some people, I think
you are right that this won't be of interest for the average apache user.
In fact, many people rely on the ability to set the apache environment.

Perhaps somewhere in the docs (apachectl or httpd) we should just put a
note reminding people to be aware of the environment that are using when
they launch apache.

Joshua.