httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache children not dying
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2003 15:05:02 GMT

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Joe Orton wrote:
> > 2.0.40 is around 18 months old, which is a very long time in an actively
> > developed open source project.  Unfortunately, Redhat chose to backport
> > security fixes rather than upgrading their apache versions through several
> > upgrade cycles.  This leaves Redhat users with a substandard product.
>
> The errata for 2.0.40 we have issued thus far include many backported
> bug fixes as well as security fixes, and will continue to do so in the
> future.
>
> The reasons for backporting rather than upgrading to newer versions are
> covered well in: http://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_backport.html.

I have read and understand that Joe.  I don't necessarily agree with it,
especially given the effort that the apache developers have recently made
to ease the upgrade process along the 2.0 line.  (Which, admittedly,
happened after the release of 2.0.40.)

The important points to me are:

1. Given the report of this user, it seems at least one important bug fix
wasn't backported.

2. Under this policy, it is impossible for me to help redhat apache users
with problems.  I have no idea what they are running.  They will get the
same results if they try to submit anything to the apache bug database.

Joshua.