httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] memory usage for 2 or more instances of apache
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2003 19:33:09 GMT

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Gustavo A. Baratto wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I want to run 2 instances of apache built with shared core but with
> different modules loaded for each instance ... It is correct to assume
> that the memory used of the core will be shared between the 2 instances?
> rephrasing: once the core is loaded by one instance of apache, the other
> instance will use the already loaded core when it starts up? or this
> second instance will allocate extra memory to load the core again?

I don't know that answer to that; I suspect it depends on your OS.

But I don't think you should really care.  The amount of memory you are
talking about is tiny compared to the total memory usage.  The important
thing to determine is how much memory is being shared among the apache
processes that are forked by each server.  That will have a much larger
effect.

Joshua.