httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_userdir.c permissions error
Date Sat, 01 Nov 2003 15:03:21 GMT

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003, Austin McAdory wrote:
> [Fri Oct 31 23:38:02 2003] [error] [client 68.119.90.60] (13)Permission
> denied: access to /~virage/ failed becasue search permissions are missing on
> a component of the path

"search permissions" on a directory are the "x" bit in "rwx".  "a
component of the path" means one of the directories in the path to
~virage/.  Assuming this directory is at /home/virage/public_html, then
you need to check the permissions on /home/, /home/virage/, and
/home/virage/public_html.  If these directories don't have at least search
permissions (chmod +x), then there is no way for apache to access the
files.

[I'm not sure of any way to make this error message clearer.]

> I have spent the last 4 hours wadeing through the apache documentation doing
> 12 different searches and found nothing so i beg you all not to tell me to
> read the manual.

The relevant part of TFM is
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#forbidden

Joshua.