httpd-users mailing list archives

From Kyle Dent <kd...@seaglass.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Ignoring certain IPs from logs
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:04:20 GMT
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Dan Trainor wrote:

> 'Morning, all.
>
> Anyone know of a way, if possible, to set Apache up to NOT LOG certain
> IPs?  I've looked at LogFormat, and it doesn't look like that's the
> key.  I'm playing around with some different webstat log parsers, and I
> would like to ignore internal IPs so I can account for bandwidth
> properly?

Generally you pre-process your log before passing it to your
analyzer. grep -v, for example, will ignore lines in a file.

It wouldn't be a good idea to filter logging within Apache
because complicated enough filtering could affect performance,
and more importantly you might later want the data that you're
filtering out. Log everything, then use tools to pull out the
information you want to look at.

Kyle