httpd-users mailing list archives

From Kyle Dent <kd...@seaglass.com>
Subject =?X-UNKNOWN?Q?Re=3A_=5Busers=40httpd=5D_R=E9p=2E_=3A_=5Busers=40h?= =?X-UNKNOWN?Q?ttpd=5D_Hello_all_=2C_right_now_im_stuck_wi?= =?X-UNKNOWN?Q?th_a_strange_problem_a_=2E=2E=2E?=
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:44:09 GMT
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Jonathan Martineau wrote:

> I just do more test.  I download Mozilla 1.5.0.2003100716 and try it.
>
> When im trying the "PDF test with accent" the browser change the URL for http://127.0.0.1/D%E9cision_07_05_1995.pdf
and display the right document but this dont work with IE 6 fully patched sp1 and all whos
trying to load http://127.0.0.1/D├ęcision_07_05_1995.pdf ...

> Whats going on under the hood?  Still RTFMing

RFC 2396 deals with URL syntax. Essentially all characters in the
URL should be represented as US-ASCII characters. Certain
reserved ASCII characters and characters not representable in
US-ASCII are supposed to be escaped. Escaping is normally done by
replacing the character by a percent sign followed by its
hexadecimal value.

In your case e with an acute accent is hex 0xE9. Browsers are not
required to support non-escaped URLs that contain disallowed
characters. The fact that Mozilla does the escaping for your is
just a nice touch. You should escape the URL in your HTML file,
which means that you should type it as

That should work with any standards-compliant browser.

Kyle