httpd-users mailing list archives

From marno <ma...@ai3.itb.ac.id>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Connection Refused - without missing info.
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2003 00:54:05 GMT
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Robert Andersson wrote:
> Bruce Feist wrote:
> > And the randomness of the problem is such that when there is a
> > problem, doing an immediate refresh often works.
>
> As Brian suggested, it seems like the OS is turning down the connection,
> rather than Apache. If Apache is too busy, it will either give an HTTP (not
> TCP) error, or put it in queue. When you run a lot of stuff on the machine,
> it may at some peaks reach too many active sockets in use. When you get a
> "connection refused" try run "netstat -a" (or equivlent command) to see how
> many connections there are.
>
> When I tested your site, it always came up, but was crawling slow.

Yes Bruce, I agree with Robert's and Brian's wrote. Your machine maybe to
weak to operate alot of stuff.

If you want to focus on publishing your web, I think you better seperate
your web server and mail server in different machine. Hence the task of
the server will seperate too and in a peak operation, the machine will not
refused connection :-). Of course before you decided to seperate it, you
have to see the traffic statistic of your server. Are there abandon hit to
your web server or are there abandon email to or from your mail server ?.
Considering this reason, I think you could decided a good decission :-).

Regards,
Marno