httpd-users mailing list archives

From "nemir nemiria" <ne...@hotmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] .NET development for apache webserver?
Date Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:20:32 GMT
Hiya.

I work for a company that delivers services utilising a product developed in
house with a proprietry dev language.  The backend is using informix c-isam
databases and a wrapper application running on linux.  The front end is a
wondows app that lets clients manipulate their data through basic
connections to the back end.

The boss recently decided that we needed to revamp the fornt end application
which at present is delivered by citrix farm via nfuse.   He wants to make
it entirely wapi.  I like this plan,  I am pretty familiar with both IIS and
apache servers and feel I could make a decent fist of setting up a web farm
on either platform.

To do this,  it makes sense to also rebuild the back end engine entirely,
probably shift the databases to PostGre (or maybe Oracle).

The company's parent has an Indian .Net dev house that they'll offer to us.
This would mean a relatively fast turnaround time, but I fear that it has
the downside of forcing us to use ASP website and MSSQL database server,
meaning a huge outlay in MS licensing.

Is it possible for a .NET dev house to  develop web pages rather than ASP
pages?  I would like some sort of platform independance with the product,
if possible, I guess, and I am looking for resources that have information
on how that can be accomplished.  Especially with .NET.

regards,

Nemir