httpd-users mailing list archives

From "musicdts" <music...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Using Apache with dynamic IP address
Date Fri, 28 Nov 2003 03:06:42 GMT
I  use no-ip.com, been up over 400 days.
Download their client, and there you go!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jez Hancock" <jez.hancock@munk.nu>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2003 5:08 PM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Using Apache with
dynamic IP address

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 07:14:09PM +0200, Andrus
Moor wrote:
> I have installed a nmber of Apache 2 SSL servers
in Windows in a number of
> customer's offices. They use cheap ADSL
connections.
> There are only small number of clients who needs
to access to those servers.
> Access from public internet using IE and
Firebird browsers over SSL to 443
> port is required. Only 443 port is open to
outside world.

> Problem:
>
> If server is re-booted, the server is no more
> accessible since its IP address changes. I
cannot use fixed IP address
> Internet connection since it is more expensive.

Create a dyndns entry for your server.  Use a
dynamic dns service such
as http://www.dyndns.org/ or one of the others you
mention (don't know
how they work, dyndns are good in my experience).

Install/configure dynamic dns software client on
your server to update
your dyndns entry with the dyndns.org site
whenever you reboot.  In this
way your users can always access your site using a
fqdn regardless of
your IP address.

There are complete guides at the dyndns.org site,
although you sound
like you know what you're doing so hopefully this
makes some sense to
you.

--
Jez Hancock