httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Certificates for aliases?
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2003 08:56:02 GMT

Just to expand on Kyle's response; it is part of the SSL security
mechanism that the browser pops up a warning when the CommonName of the
certificate doesn't match exactly the fully-qualified domain name of the
site you requested. This is to alert the user about possible site
masquerading and is not something you can configure away. You cannot
define more than one certificate per VH - if you do, the second will
overwrite the first when the config is read.

Basically, SSL doesn't support server aliasing (if you read the docs,
you'll see that ServerAlias is intended for use with name-based VHs and
we all know SSL doesn't support NBVH).

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

views of the sender's company.