httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] newbie request for help
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2003 08:11:39 GMT

The ServerName directive (I assume that's what you're referring to) is used in two contexts
as described in http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#servername.

1) in a "main" config (ie outside a virtual Host) it is used to form self-referential URLs
(eg redirects)
2) in a name based VH, it is used to match the Host header in the incoming request and so
to select the required VH.

So - since you have a LAN, just set it to the name of the apache server. That is, the name
you would use to telnet to it from one of the other machines in the LAN. If you don't have
DNS working but just have an IP address, then just leave it out and apache will use the IP
address by default.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

PS - please try to be more precise in your questions, eg your question above should read;
"i setup the ServerName as 'mother'". Then we don't have to guess...