httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] newbie request for help
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:41:41 GMT

How it's 'meant to work' is that you make an HTTP request and apache
responds with the content.

To take it one step at a time:

- RH9 comes with apache; I assume you're using the RH apache and didn't
install your own...
- apache is probably already runnig after boot: During the boot, look
for "httpd started" or something like that (probably just before you get
the login prompt).
- Once booted, do "ps -ef | grep httpd" and you should see many
processes. Note the full path to httpd (eg /usr/sbin/httpd).
- as root, execute this program with "-V", ie "/usr/sbin/httpd -V" This
will tell you how apache was compiled. In particular, it will tell you
the "HTTPD_ROOT" (eg /etc/apache) and the "SERVER_CONFIG_FILE" (eg
http.conf). Put these together and you've got the full path to the
config, eg /etc/apache/httpd.conf
- read this file and look for the "DocumentRoot". This defines the
directory where apache starts looking for files. It should have a file
called "index.html" in it.
- start up a browser on the same machine and enter http://localhost/ -
this should display the index.html file in DocumentRoot.
- If your server is on a network and has an servername,
http://your-server/ should also work.

For docs, try http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/urlmapping.html which is
a good starting point about how to connect URLs to files on the
computer.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>i fear that my brain is so microsoft'ized that i cant gel all that i am
>reading to something that makes sense.
>i'll keep plugging away but would appreciate any pointers..
>cheers
>KW

views of the sender's company.